Tuesday, June 4, 2013

He or She, Who will it Be?

As I mentioned in my last post, Dave and I are expecting a baby in October! We're so excited. Babies are such a wonderful blessing, and we can't wait to meet ours!


Tomorrow we have a doctor's appointment, and (assuming the little one cooperates) we'll get to find out the gender! Now, I know that there are several schools of thought on finding out the gender of unborn babies, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just as much of a surprise at 20 weeks as it is at birth! Plus, being a planner, I'm excited to plan things like nursery decor etc. around the gender of my little one.

So, since I've been dying to know if this kiddo is a boy or a girl pretty much since we found out we were expecting, I've read pretty much every old wives tale out there. Not to say I put any stock in them. I don't. They're just a fun way to pass the time! And hey, with a 50-50 chance, some of them have to be right! Right?

We'd love to hear your guesses as to what Baby will be! So, to give you all the information we have, here are the old wives tales and their outcomes:
  • Heartbeat: According to this one, babies with a heartbeat below 140bpm are boys, and those above 140 are girls! Our baby's heartbeat was 158 at 12 weeks, and 156 at 16 weeks. Girl! 


  • Sweet or Sour Cravings: Some say that if mom is craving sweet treats, baby will be a girl. If mom must have sour or salty treats, baby will be a boy. I haven't been able to get enough fruit (watermelon especially)! I'm not sure if this qualifies as a craving, since I've always loved fruit and there's always more to be eaten in the summer than other times of the year, but I'll take it. And since watermelon is pretty sweet, it must be a Girl! 



  • Chinese Gender Chart: According to legend, this chart is over 700 years old and was discovered in a Chinese royal tomb. It's supposed to predict the gender of the baby based on the month of conception and mom's age at that time. According to this one, it's a Boy! 

  • Mayan Gender Predictor: We all know how good the Mayans are at predicting things. I mean, the world ended in 2012, right? Anyway, apparently the Mayans determined gender by looking at mom's age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one's even and one's odd, it's a boy. Girl! 


  • Glow or No? Supposedly, little girls steal their mother's beauty, and little boys give mom the coveted pregnancy "glow." If the spots all over my face are any indication, I'm thinking the beauty is being sucked right out of me. Girl! 


  • The Ring Trick: If you take off your wedding ring, tie it to a string and dangle it over your belly, it will move (physics. Stuff on a string tends to wiggle). If it moves in a circle, the peanut is supposed to be a boy. Back and forth means a girl. Girl! 


  • Morning Sickness: If mom's morning sickness is out of control during the first trimester, it's suppose to be a girl. Feeling great means it's a boy. I certainly had my queasy days, but over all I felt great. Boy! 

  • Soft or Dry Hands: Apparently, soft hands during pregnancy mean it's a girl; dry means a boy. Boy!


Those old wives seem to think a baby girl is in our future! But it was close. What do you think? Snips and snails, or sugar and spice? I'd love to hear your experience with these old wive's tales. Are there any you swear by? Did I miss a favorite? Let me know!

1 comment:

Sarah Bauer said...

Every person and every pregnancy is different, but all my boys had fast heartbeats and gave me acne and horrible morning sickness. So according to the wive's tales they all should have been girls! LoL!